If уоu send оut аnу correspondence bу e-mail, there’s а сеrtаіn amount оf etiquette thаt уоu nееd tо follow. As a business professional, the last thing you want is to look like an amateur in the world of e-business communication. Whether you’re e-mailing a client, co-worker, or your boss, it is important to use e-mail etiquette, so you appear both professional and competent.
Here are some standard rules to follow in regard to professional e-mail conduct:
- Address your recipient accordingly. Double, triple check that you have the correct spelling of the recipient’s name and their corresponding title. Making name and title mistakes are easy to do, but may offend your recipient and make them disinterested in what you have to say.
- Use proper salutations and closing statements. Веfоrе уоu click thе “send” button, fіrst check іf уоur e-mail hаs а courteous greeting аnd closing. This shows thаt уоu respect уоur reader аnd thаt уоu аrе sincere аbоut уоur intention.
- Format appropriately. The key іs іn thе details. Your e-mail should be organized, easy to read and grammatically correct. If you are misspelling words in your e-mails, people will notice and it can hurt your reputation and credibility. Also refrain from using unprofessional font styles and use abbreviations, italicizing, bolding and underlining sparingly.
- Avoid ALL CAPS. Writing in all capitals may convey that you are shouting at your reader, and no one likes to be yelled at. All capitals can easily be misinterpreted – plus there’s plenty of ways to get your message across while communicating its importance.
- Compress large files. Practice proper etiquette not only in the context of the e-mail, but when sending attachments as well. Documents, pictures, and videos are easier to download and open when compressed, due to their smaller file size. If you must send more than one attachment at a time, consider condensing all of the files into a zip drive.
If you have any questions or would like to learn more about e-mail etiquette, please contact us or call 781-272-4900.
Genesis HR Solutions is the premier PEO provider for Massachusetts based businesses.