Here are this week’s links to a few good stories that we found and selected because we feel they might add valuable insights and perspectives for small to medium size businesses.
- Each month, Wall Street waits to hear the job creation report from ADP for the prior month. The market responds accordingly, and then again a few weeks later when the numbers are revisited and corrected. Still, the ADP report for January, 2014 is interesting in that they report that 175,000 new jobs were created in the month. Anita Campbell, writing for Small Business Trends in Small Businesses Once Again Create More Jobs Than Big Businesses speaks to the issue we’ve known all along. The short story is that the information below for January lends support to the claim that US Small Businesses make the US economy work:
- Small Businesses – 75,000 new jobs
- Medium Businesses – 66,000 new jobs
- Large Businesses – 34,000 new jobs
- JD Supra, in its Week in Review speaks to a few interesting issues, but the most notable might be the news that many companies are banning employees from the use of mobile devices while driving (for work) to avoid company liability in the event of injuries caused in an auto accident. It is something to consider, given that plaintiff attorneys will always try to seek relief from any and all parties, especially ones with deeper pockets.
- A mere 72 hours before the start of the 2014 Winter Olympics, many buildings and arenas were still not complete. Cord Himelstein, writing for VP of Communications for Michael C. Fina and reposted by TLNT posits that there might be lessons for the workplace. In Lessons From the Sochi Olympics in Overcoming Workplace Challenges, he gives three examples which are worth consideration.
If you have questions or would like to learn more, please reach out to Genesis HR Solutions at AskUs@genesishrsolutions.com or 800-367-8367.
Genesis HR Solutions is the premier PEO provider for Massachusetts based businesses.