From May 19-21, 2013, Patty Hilger, Vice President of Human Resources and Operations, and Kim Piccolo, Senior Human Resource Business Partner joined me and more than 250 PEO industry professionals at NAPEO’s annual Legal and Legislative Conference, held in Washington, DC. As the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA) begins to roll out, it is clear that the PEO industry is in a great position to provide assistance to the small business community, now more than ever.
Keynote speakers at the event included:
- Dr. William Dunkelberg, Chief Economist of The National Federation of Independent Business
- William Kristol, Editor of The Weekly Standard and
- Karen Ignagni, President and CEO of America’s Health Insurance Plans
Also in attendance were industry experts who directed a number of workshops including:
- The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA)
- The Small Business Efficiency Act (SBEA) – Senate Bill #479
- Compliance Costs for Small Business
- Critical Legal Developments for PEOs
- National Labor Relations Board (NLRB) Compliance Issues
- Compliance issues for PEOs and their clients on Immigration Issues
- Department of Labor Case Studies in PEO/Client Relationships
- Federal and State Government Affairs Updates
As part of the conference, 83 NAPEO members representing 50 PEOs met with the offices of 63 Senators and members of Congress to promote consideration of Senate Bill 479. The Genesis HR Solutions entourage participated in one of 21 meetings that were held directly with representatives of their state. Shown here are Patty Hilger, Kim Piccolo, Senator Elizabeth Warren, and Bob Burbidge during a visit paid to Senator Warren on May 21.